Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Bucket List

OK, so the day before Father's Day, our mailman delivers the movie, The Bucket List, which stars Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. The only thing I knew about the movie was that it was about 2 friends who had limited time and created a list of things they wanted to do before they died. I remember the ads looking funny which is why I put it on the Netflix list.

Now let me preface this by saying, I didn't know dying from what, etc, just that it would happen and that they were going to go out in style.

Well....

Ok, so my Dad passed away on 12 December 1992 from lung cancer that had matastasized to his leg and then to his brain. It is still very difficult for me to talk about because I really miss him....

So, the movie starts out with Morgan Freeman getting the "call" and ending up in the hospital where he meets Jack Nicholson, who before then was a stranger to him, and also ends up in the hospital and becomes his roommate. So what do both have??? you got it...cancer.

OK, so I didn't know how I was going to do with the movie, but in the end, it was sad but at the same time a well put together tale which actually leaves you on a happy note as odd as it may seem.

The hospital scenes weren't so bad, and watching them on their journey gave me a lot to think about. The worst part for me however, was when a funeral occurs (not going to say who, what, when just so that those of you out there who haven't seen the movie will not have story plots ruined for them). Anyway, there is a moment when the camera turns from the person giving the eulogy to show all of the people in attendance.

This was the part of the movie that really hit home for me and I almost lost it.

When my Dad passed away, I did a reading. Up until that moment, I was only sitting in the front row along with my Mom, brother and sister. Not once did I turn around. When I got up and stood behind the podium, after putting my finger on the reading to try to get the letters to stop jumping around, I looked up. It was in that moment that I realized how loved my Dad had been. The church was full.

It was full of friends and strangers, people I had never met in my life. My father had retired from the fire department after 20 some years of service. He also drove a taxicab after retirement to help supplement income and because he never could "not" work. When I looked up, I could see rows and rows of men in suits as well as men in full uniform. His firefighter and taxi brothers all came out. What a sight to behold! As I write this I cannot help but cry.

I wonder if my Dad ever knew how many lives he touched and how people really cared? He was a good man.

In honor of my Dad and Father's Day, I created a FREE file which I have uploaded into Cutters Market. I won't even make you hunt for it! Just go to my gallery and you will find it under the Occupations tab.



Happy Father's Day Dad!

Happy Father's Day to everyone's Dads...those still here to share a fun day with everyone and those who are on the other side waiting patiently for us.

Big Hugs,
Eddita

PS: In case you are wondering, I would recommend the movie. I did enjoy it and only after the credits started rolling did I see that Rob Reiner directed it...I have never seen a movie of his I didn't enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad! It is wonderful that he was so loved (and still is)!